INFORMATION FOR CLIENTS
This document contains information which the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act (Lawyers: Conduct and Client Care) Rules 2008 New Zealand Law Society (NZLS Rules) require us to provide to you.
INFORMATION REQUIRED BY NZLS RULES:
Whatever legal services your lawyer provides he or she must:
- Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with any arrangements made,
- Protect and promote your clients interests and act for them free from compromising influences or loyalties,
- Discuss with your client their objectives and how they should best be achieved,
- Provide your client with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided,
- Charge your client a fee that is fair and reasonable and let them know when they will be billed,
- Give your client clear information and advice,
- Protect your client's privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality,
- Treat your client fairly, respectfully and without discrimination,
- Keep your Client informed about the work being done and advise him/her when it is completed,
- Let your client know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers.
Those obligations are subject to overriding duties to the courts,
any enactments and the administration of justice.
For further information you may visit website: www.lawyers.org.nz
We calculate our fees in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the New Zealand Law Society and take into account several factors having regard to the circumstances of the matter and the nature of our work provided to you.
Further information about the basis on which fees are charged and when payment of fees is to be made are set out in our Terms of Engagement.
We hold professional indemnity insurance that meets the minimum standards set by the New Zealand Law Society.
Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund
The legal profession also operates a Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund through the New Zealand Law Society which may reimburse clients who suffer pecuniary loss due to theft or misappropriation of funds by lawyers.
The maximum amount payable by the Fidelity Fund by way of compensation to an individual claimant is limited to $100,000.
However, subject to certain limited exceptions as set out in the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006, the Fidelity Fund does not cover a client for any loss relating to money where the lawyers have been instructed to invest the funds on behalf of the client.
Feedback and Complaints
If you would like to comment on any aspect of the service provided by us, including how we can improve our service, please contact us in this respect. If you have any concerns or complaints about our services, please raise them as soon as possible with the director of the firm, Pamela Puckree. We will inquire into your complaint and endeavour in good faith to resolve the matter with you in a way that is fair to all concerned. If you are not satisfied with the way we have dealt with your complaint the New Zealand Law Society has a complaints service to which you may refer the issue. You can call the 0800 number for guidance, lodge a concern or make a formal complaint.
Matters may be directed to:
Lawyers Complaints Service
PO Box 5041
Phone: 0800 261 801
To lodge a concern: www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-the-community/lawyers-complaints-service/concerns-form
To make a formal complaint: www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-the-community/lawyers-complaints-service/how-to-make-acomplaint
Persons Responsible for the Work Undertaken:
The names and status of the person or persons who will have the general and/or overall responsibility for the services we provide for you shall be advised to you in our letter of engagement.
Limitations on extent of our Obligations or Liability:
Any limitations on the extent of our obligations to you or any limitation or exclusion of liability are set out in our letter of engagement.